Thursday, July 07, 2005

Thursday's Riddle

Exactly one year ago today - July 7, 2004 - I had the distinct pleasure of having lunch with Father Stanley L. Jaki, OSB, author of some 50 books.

During that meeting, we spoke of a number of things, and he happened to ask how old I was.

I said, "It's a riddle: On my last birthday I was 48. On my next birthday I will be 50."

He replied, "How is this possible?"

I could almost see the wheels turning (probably translating it into Hungarian, or Latin, or French...)


(pause)


Then he said, "Ah! Happy birthday!"

Yes, and the calender this year is the same as it was in the year I was born. This is not a riddle, but an answer - it answers the question "Why Doctor Thursday?" (And here you thought it had something to do with a Chesterton book! Hee hee.)


Yes, today I am one half century. Thanks, Mom and Dad. Thank You, God. Please help me always to do Your will. Amen.

And now it's time to go to Holy Mass, at which I will remember all those who happen to read this - and even those who don't!

2 Comments:

At 07 July, 2005 08:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY DOCTOR THURSDAY!!!
GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS :)

Faith

 
At 07 July, 2005 17:08, Blogger Nancy C. Brown said...

Happy 50th!
Such a nice round number.
What a blessing to have lunch with Father Jaki, and on your birthday, too.
God bless you, and thank you for the prayers, I do need them!
Happy, happy day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home