Tuesday, November 11, 2008

announcing: Subsidiarity

Although it is not March 2 (see here for why that date is important), I have chosen to publish the introductory portion of my new book on Subsidiarity today.



So you can go to http://drthursdaysubsidiarity.blogspot.com/ if you wish to have an introduction to this most important, powerful, and effective design tool and management method - the one authentic guide to government or business or society of any kind.

Please note: So far, that blogg only contains the introduction. There's more to come.

And if you happen work for a certain kind of company (I won't mention any names here, but someone may recognize that satellite dish!) please pay very close attention. You will now have one more opportunity to learn something you should have learned before. It's not too late. You do NOT have to stick with your 1980s style of software! This stuff uses a design technique that's lots older:
I revert to the doctrinal methods of the thirteenth century, inspired by the general hope of getting something done.
[GKC, Heretics CW1:46]
Wow - a way of getting something done - and it's efficient, too!

3 Comments:

At 13 November, 2008 09:46, Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Dr. Thursday, I have a question about a Chesterton quote--or what I think is a Chesterton quote.

Did he ever say something about playing marbles (or perhaps it was tiddly-winks?) while wearing boxing gloves?

I would have e-mailed you with this query, but I couldn't find your e-mail address on the 'blog.

Thanks! =)

 
At 14 November, 2008 10:50, Blogger Dr. Thursday said...

Hello Em - how are things on the other side of the world? (Isn't the e-cosmos fascinating? Thank God!) A reverent bow to you and yours!

There is no e-address for me here as yet; there's so little need for anyone to say anything to me, as I'm usually too busy talking to listen. Hee hee. But then I'm just a UDP kind of guy... (hee hee, a little tech humour - UDP is a one-way form of internet communication.) But maybe I ought to put something on, somewhere, just in case - I shall consider it.

And I am sorry, but the only "tiddly" is in the nonsense song in Club of Queer Trades, and just about all "marbles" refer to sculpture; two boxing gloves in CW14 but not in the context you seek. And though odd it doesn't quite have the flavour of GKC, at least to my ears - unless you might mean something like this:

"the case of the high-minded clerk, the man of the artistic middle-class. He comes into the country with the absurd idea that one can be unconventional in the country; which is the most conventional place on earth. He will walk about the country lanes in sandals; or he will be a vegetarian and deal with the greengrocer but not the butcher. All this seems to the conventional rustic simply stark madness, without any ideal or excuse, as if the man had put gloves on his feet or eaten mustard without beef."
[ILN Jul 23 1910 CW28:569]

Incidentally, if you or anyone needs Chesterton quotes, the best way is to use the Quotemeister on the ACS web page.

 
At 19 November, 2008 03:57, Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Dr. Thursday.

The reason I tried you before going to the Quotemeister was that I suspected that if Uncle Gilbert didn't write it, then you must have. =P

It was about how great mysteries can only be contained in small genres, like the detective story. Anyone trying to write an epic about a great mystery would be like someone playing marbles (or tiddly-winks) while wearing boxing gloves.

Anyway, I'm off to try the Quotemeister now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home