Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Birthday of the Church - the Day of Pentecost

Spiritus Domini replevit orbem terrarum, alleluja:
Et hoc quod continet omnia, scientiam habet vocis,
alleluja, alleluja, alleluja.
Exsurgat Deus, et dissipentur inimici ejus:
et fugiant, qui oderunt eum, a facie ejus.
Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto.
Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Spiritus Domini replevit orbem terrarum, alleluja:
Et hoc quod continet omnia, scientiam habet vocis,
alleluja, alleluja, alleluja.


The Spirit of the Lord hath filled the whole world, alleluia.
And that which containeth all things, hath knowledge of the voice, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.
Let God arise, and let his enemies be scattered:
and let them that hate him flee from before his face.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.
The Spirit of the Lord hath filled the whole world, alleluia.
And that which containeth all things, hath knowledge of the voice,
alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

[This is today's Introit, from Wisdom 1:7 (emphasis added) and Psalm 67:2]

3 Comments:

At 31 May, 2009 23:24, Blogger Sheila said...

I tend to favor i's in place of j's: "ejus" is okay, but "alleluja" just looks strange. My Latin textbooks always use j's, and I have a hard time explaining that away to the kids.

How do you interpret "scientiam habet vocis"? I was thinking maybe "his voice," but that doesn't make sense either, because we're not talking about the Spirit having knowledge of his OWN voice, because then we'd use sui, right? I'm confused, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

I actually popped in to tell you I finally updated both blogs. :)

 
At 01 June, 2009 10:32, Blogger Dr. Thursday said...

Those "j" are in my Missale Romanum (!)

The translation is from the DR translation - I did not try it myself - I think the missal has another version too... let's see:

"The Spirit of the Lord fills the world, alleluia, is all-embracins, and kows man's utterance, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. God arises; His enemies are scattered, and those who hate Him flee before Him. Etc."

(Hm... I don't get that "knows" as a verb?)

This is an interesting discussion item. Perhaps I may have to haul out the Septuagint and try to parse the Greek... I do have the Septuagint - I got it from Weaver's... I mean Loome's.

Thanks for the note - I will visit your bloggs once I get this posted.

 
At 24 September, 2009 06:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Sheila

"How do you interpret "scientiam habet vocis"?"

My Romanian bible translation (orthodox translation follows the Septuagint) reads like:

The Wisdom of Solomon 1:7-8 "The Spirit of God fills the whole world, He contains all and knows(hears) every whisper.Thus, he who speaks unjust things cannot hide and the revengeful justice won't forget him"

So the idea is that the voice is the voice of man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home