Saturday, August 21, 2010

A question about Catholic Scientists

I received a comment on this post about Catholic Scientists, wondering if I would extend the list. That is a great idea, and if I have time I will try to add some more. There is a real challenge in dealing with this subject, as anyone who has read Jaki - or even Chesterton - would be aware, but there is definitely a need for good books. Not only good books on science, but also books which give the truth about the role religion plays in science... and this is something I wish I had more time to treat. All I can say is I will do what I can, with God's help.

For the interim, I would recommend hunting for books like these:


These are obtainable from Real View Books:

K. A. Kneller, Christianity and the Leaders of Modern Science: A Contribution to the History of Culture during the Nineteenth Century. This has an introduction by Father Jaki; it has a magnificent collection of short biographies of scientists, showing the role their faith played in their lives - many of them were Catholic.

S. L. Jaki, Chesterton a Seer of Science. A great introductory book to Chesterton, to Jaki, and to some of the critical issues of science, faith and related matters. Short but very meaty. I highly recommend it.

These next are out of print, but you might find them from Loome or other good used bookstores:
Jamss J. Walsh, The Popes and Science.
Jamss J. Walsh, Makers of Modern Medicine.

These are just off the top of my head, and will give you something to start with. There are others in print which are BY Catholic scientists, but I shall have to go through my records to list them; some are probably mentioned in the above-linked posting; I recall texts by Lavoisier on chemistry and Fabre on insects...

Since there is interest, I hope to proceed with this as time may permit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home